top of page

2019 Houses

A little background on the houses highlighted in 2019

Mercy House

Mercy House

After nearly a decade of Catholic education on the Charters Towers goldfield the diocese commissioned architects William George Smith and Sons to design a purpose built building on this site in High Street.

The sisters of the Order of Little Sisters of Mercy had, up until then, been teaching Catholic girls of high school age in a “humble dwelling”, which was also referred to as a “miserable and unsightly hovel”, from 1882.

When the building was officially opened on December 4, 1892, the Right Rev Dr Cani, Bishop of Rockhampton, praised the builders – Messrs O'Mears – saying it would long stand as a monument of their skill.

Chartres

The transformation of this Queenslander home was closely watched by locals due to its location in the Charters Towers CBD.

This parcel of land was purchased by Francis Johnson back in 1876, when the Charters Towers goldfield was ramping up, and was owned by William Casey by 1880, and although the stone pitched drains are known to have been formed here by then, it is not known when the house was erected, or indeed who built it.

What is known is that by 1911 it was owned by Ernest Clark and Nora Davies.  He was an auctioneer and commission agent and had an office in Gill Street.  Their twins – Myra Marguerite and Beryle Dean – were born in this house on October 21, 1905.

The family conducted a plant nursery and florist from the property, with the Davies said to be enthusiastic gardeners and members of the Benevolent Horticultural Society.

​

Chartres
20230523_172620_edited.jpg
Advent House

Advent House

Built by Joe Millican, the son of a Northumberland blacksmith, also Joe, this villa was among the first homes built in the suburb of Richmond Hill.
Millican was an influential Welsh miner, and even served as mayor of Charters Towers from 1890 to 1891, and then chairman of the Queenton Shire Council, and eventually the Member of the Legislative Assembly for Charters Towers from 1907-08. The home was surrounded by eight acres of country.
Following Millican's departure from the stately home, it came to be in the ownership of the Anglican diocese.
In 1921 the Sisters of the Society of the Sacred Advent established St Gabriel's School for Girls in Charters Towers.  Hence the name Advent House.

Anchor 1
Anchor 2
Anchor 3

View the 2019 Booklet

 Great Houses of Charters Towers

©2024 by Great Houses of Charters Towers

bottom of page